Wednesday, November 14, 2007

What do you know?

Let me start by saying I am not a doctor, I have never studied medicine and I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Most of my adult life I have been told not to eat eggs as they are not good for you. If you are going to eat eggs then eat either Egg Beaters or just egg whites. Now according to Liz Applegate Ph.D., author of The Encyclopedia of Sports and Fitness Nutrition those claims are being debunked. Much of the best stuff is in the yolk- the part missing when you eat Egg Beaters or just egg whites. Eggs supply micronutrients such as choline, which is essential for healthy brain and central nervous system functioning and zeaxanthin and lutein, coratenoids that protect your eyes from cataracts and macular degeneration. They also boost vitamin K, which helps build str0ng bones, guards against cell damage and encourages healthy blood clotting.

So while people were telling me to engage in a behavior that they said was "good for me" and would "help me live longer" they were actually unknowingly keeping things from me that were good for me. Hmmmm. They weren't doing this to be malicious or mean, they were doing it in good consciousness for my benefit. Turns out though that they may have been wrong.

I wonder if I have ever "corrected" someone or asked them to cease an activity that was "harmful to them" when in fact my opinion of that activity was in error? I wonder how many things I have avoided because of "danger" when in fact they could have promoted my growth? I'm not advocating change of any type, instead I am advocating studying what we "know" and make certain that what we "know" is in fact TRUTH. Guess that puts the responsibility squarely on me to study... as soon as I finish my eggs.

In Him,

David

No comments: