Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Observations from Shenandoah

One of my favorite movies is the 1965 version of Shenandoah starring Jimmy Stewart. There are several memorable scenes in this movie but one I recollect best is when Lt. Sam (Doug McClure) is talking to Mr. Anderson (Jimmy Stewart) about marrying his daughter. Anderson asks Sam if he likes Jennie and is answered with "Yes sir, I love her." which leads us to this discussion:

Charlie Anderson: Do you like her?
Lt. Sam: Well, I just said I...
Charlie Anderson: No, no. You just said you loved her. There's some difference between lovin' and likin'. When I married Jennie's mother, I-I didn't love her - I liked her... I liked her a lot. I liked Martha for at least three years after we were married and then one day it just dawned on me I loved her. I still do... still do. You see, Sam, when you love a woman without likin' her, the night can be long and cold, and contempt comes up with the sun.

I am so thankful that I have people in my life who like me and love me. I know how flawed I am and am grateful that these people choose to look past my flaws. I am even more grateful that I have a Savior who loves me even when I was unloveable, covered in my sin.

I'll leave you with a little more Shenandoah wisdom:

Charlie Anderson: It's no easy job, Sam, to take care of a woman.
Lt. Sam: No, sir.
Charlie Anderson: They expect things they never ask for. And when they don't get them, they ask you why. Sometimes they don't ask... and just go ahead and punish you for not doing something you didn't know you were supposed to do in the first place.
----------------------------

Charlie Anderson: If we don't try we don't do. And if we don't do, what are we on this Earth for?

In Him,

David

No comments: