Monday, November 12, 2007

Everyone that Labors

In Matthew 11 Jesus says: 28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." We are given this promise and still it seems hard at times to be a Christian. We talk about "working hard for Jesus" and "bearing our cross" and yet we want an easy Christianity. We want a loving savior who allows no harm, no pain, no suffering. We hear people say "if God is a loving God, why would he allow this to happen?"

I think many "churches" are guilty of teaching what I call the true Voodoo Economics. They say if you contribute regularly, pray regularly, do as you should that God is going to reward you economically far more than you can imagine. Logic would dictate that the counter to that would be that if you suffer you must be doing something wrong.....hmmmm isn't that exactly what Job's friends told him? I believe the apostles gave far more than I ever have in service and probably of their economic blessings and still they were persecuted and executed.

I'm not discounting the pain that we feel in this life. I know, I questioned God as to why my father died when so many faithful people were praying for him. I questioned why our congregation had to experience so much loss this summer. I constantly worry about the health and safety of my family. When the pain starts to subside and I wipe the tears from my eyes, there is God with his arms outstretched, loving me.

At times its hard for me to see now but the promise that I have, the reward that I will be given is far superior to any labor that I might have to endure in this life. I believe the promise of Mt. 11. I believe that viewed from the other side, what I went through here will be seen as very easy.

In Him,

David

No comments: