Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Orientation

I like Google Maps especially when you toggle between the map and the satellite image. You can find the general area that you are looking for in map mode and then see all the buildings from a satellite image. I was playing around with Google Maps today looking at my old house in Gulfport and noticed blue tarps on many of the roofs. Obviously this satellite photo is post-Katrina so I decided to look at some friends homes in the area as well. One of these homes that I know very well and have visited often looked much different from above. Actually my perception of what part of the house faced north was off by 90%. When you are looking at a pond that you thought was on the east side and find that it is actually south of the house, it can be somewhat confusing while trying to orient yourself to the satellite image. I wonder how many other things there are in my life that I think I "know" the answer to when in fact if I looked at it from a different angle I could see how wrong my assumptions are.

In Him,

David

No comments: