Friday, December 28, 2007

Holidays and Observations

We traveled to my mother's home for the Christmas holiday. We had a wonderful time and the boys love spending time with their grandmother. It was a busy time with a day at Dollywood, presents to open on Christmas Eve, the visit from Santa on Christmas morning, visiting the congregation that I grew up in on Sunday morning and spending time with family and friends. We are truly blessed!

One of the inconveniences of staying with my mother is her internet connection. It is rather slow and sporadic at times. I think my in-laws in China have better service than she does. But for all that she uses the net, it is perfect for her and that is all that matters. It does make it difficult to post and read other blogs though.

I received the movie that I truly wanted from my wife as a Christmas present. The movie is titled Amazing Grace and it is truly an amazing movie. It is based on the actions of William Wilberforce and his attempts to abolish slavery in the British empire. His mentor / preacher / father figure was John Newton, a former slaveship captain. I will not go into the details, rather I would urge everyone to see this movie. It proves that 1 man can make a difference.

Early on in the movie William is having a conversation with his butler when the butler asks, excuse the paraphrasing please, "you found God sir?" To which William replies: "rather he found me, it is rather inconvenient when one finds God." It is inconvenient to find God. As humans there are things that we WANT to do that as Christians we should NOT do. But on the flip side, it is a grand adventure to walk with God and to know him. Everything good that I have in my life I have because of God. My parents, my wife and my children are all blessings from Him. Happy New Year to all.

In Him,

David

1 comment:

David said...

For John Dobbs: We open presents with my brother and his family on Christmas Eve. We open our other presents (to each other, from Santa, etc.) on Christmas morning. This year we opened the presents from Janelle's family the day after Christmas with Janelle's younger sister and her daughter.