Thursday, December 20, 2007

Can't Wait

As a small child I always loved Christmas. I could not wait to look under the tree and see what Santa brought me and all the other gifts that I was getting. I also loved picking out gifts for others and wathching their faces as they opened their gifts. I still love Christmas and can't wait to see the boys faces this year.

I always want to pick something that is suitable to the person for which I am buying, although my method of shopping has changed. I used to be a powershopper. I would wait to the last moment and do all my shopping in one frantic day of shopping. I am now more of a bargain shopper. I will shop the doorbusters, Black Friday and anywhere else that I can get a deal. I will carefully comb through all the sales flyers (F.S.I.s in the business) looking for the best deals on what I have chosen to purchase. I always shop with this caveat, if I don't think the person will truly like or can use it, I won't buy it.

I hate buying clothes for my nieces. I don't want to be the clothes uncle, I want to be the cool uncle that gets them cool things, not clothes. I hated getting clothes when I was younger. It wasn't that I was unappreciative, it was that what certain family members picked out for me had nothing to do with style. When I would put on their outfit I would feel like Ralphy wearing the pink bunny costume in "A Christmas Story".

I have certain unwritten rules about Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. It is part of who I am. I try not to always inflict my rules on others but I do have certain expectations. Even if you don't live up to my expectations I do know that I love Christmas and as the song says, it is the most wonderful time of the year. Merry Christmas.

David

2 comments:

JD said...

hmm... guess I have to take that pack of white tank tops back to Target.

David said...

White tank tops are a staple clothing item for many men in the South. That would be an acceptable gift.